Thursday, November 1, 2012

It'sDIA de Los Muertos - with Birthday Wishes

Today is Dia De Los Muertos - Day of the Dead. This began primarily as a Mexican holiday but has merged with other holidays such as All Saints Day  and All Souls Day. Other cultures also celebrate a similar holiday at other times of the year.

Sugar Skulls are an important symbol for Dia De Los Muertos, and are presented as offerings at alters and graves.  In celebration of this day, the Bombshells have decided to pull out these stamp sets and have some fun!
But - that is not all. No!!! Not in any way. See today is Shannon's birthday. Shannon is the owner of Bombshell Stamps, and the creator of all these wonderful Pin-Up, Sugar Skull, and Tattoo inspired stamps.  Here's to you Shannon!!!! Thank you for your wonderful designs and I hope you have a wonderful year!

This is the main image from the Alter Skulls set. I altered it a bit though (hee hee). It usually has several candles behind it. I colored them up, but they looked AWFUL! Seriously... I should have gone with my first instinct to color them in the traditional purple color, but I didn't. I colored them in Pink and it was HIDEOUS. I had to get rid of them. That being said, I LOVE how it looks now. Sometimes it is the mistakes that make it work.
The colors used are BG000, 02, 05, G00, 02, 05,07, 09, V01, 03, 05, 09, Y00 and Y02 and RV00, 02, 06. I wanted it to have a typical Sugar skull feel to it - very bright.


I am entering this into the following challenge:
Sketch Saturday - Sketch 231



Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what an unusual image! I love the colours you've used and a great take on our sketch! Thanks so much for joining us at Sketch Saturday this week, hope to see you again soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo pretty. Love the colors, sketch, shading and the way the 3d flowers blend with the flowers on the image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's outstanding. I especially like how you did the roses.
    '
    True confession. I prefer the Alter Skull without the candles.

    ReplyDelete