Reds are hard because if you make one misstep they are extremely hard to erase - - especially the darker you get. Blacks are hard, because it is a fine line between too light and too dark as to obscure the features you are coloring.
I colored this reverse of what I usually do. Normally I color the light colors first, and then move toward the darker colors. For this one, I started with the blacks. I started with C1, C3 and C5 and added a very little bit of C7 to the physical features of the ladybugs. I added a bit of R20 to the cheeks to give them a little bit of a blush. I then moved to the dots on their capes, and then the hat and shoes. Last was his bow tie.
Once I finished all the blacks, I went and did the reds. For the reds I used R22, 24, 27, 29 and 39. The last main colors were the B21 on the dress and shirt. I used the tip to tip method with the colorless blender for the shirt and dress. I wanted some shading, but I was trying to make them look white. I finished up with the flowers (RV21, 23, 25, YG23, 25) and the antennae which were Y23, 26, 28.
I then used my Nestie to cut the image out and while still in it I used the airbrush with the B21, YG21 and G21 to airbrush. I cut out the next bigger size Nestie out of red. While still in the Nestie I airbrushed the inside with 110. I cannot remember what the DP is, but I love the white and black look.
I am entering this into this weeks Paper Pretties challenge which was a Valentine inspired theme.
Hope you all enjoyed it, and HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!